Adaptation strategies anticipate the effects of climate change and define accurate actions to prevent or minimise the damage they can cause.
Local governments, ski-resort operators, winter tourism operators, and financial operators can implement a series of complementary measures for ensuring stability and continuity to Alpine winter tourism.
What are complementary adaptation measures?
Different stakeholders can adopt related adaptation measures
In this step, the Smart Altitude WebGIS Tool offers the ability to visualize ski resort performance and potential of renewable sources through a web visualisation of Alpine Space ski areas with different layers populated through a database.
Ski resorts can adopt measures of two main kinds:
1) Optimize snowmaking process;
2) Shifting slopes to higher altitudes;
3) Avoid south facing slopes;
4) Increase snow shading (through tree cover along slope margins);
5) Improve weather forecasting to support programming of the ski season
1) Build ski conglomerates between low and high-altitude resorts;
2) Revenue diversification targeting new segments as natural, cultural, experiential, wellness, enogastronomic tourism;
3) Marketing by providing incentives or guarantees to overcome skiers’ reluctance to book a ski holiday because of uncertain snow conditions.
Local governments can:
1) define long-term regional and local adaptation plans;
2) influence the level of public awareness of climate change effects;
3) provide financial support through tax breaks or subsidies on adaptation investments;
4) provide capacity building as technical support or dedicated training;
5) invest in experiential tourism.
Financial operators can:
1) provide weather insurances to cover the negative effects of adverse winter seasons;
2) offer climate adaptation investment products
Join the Smart Altitude Community!
Share your experience, ask information or become a replicator.
Contact us and subscribe to our periodic newsletter.
This project is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund through the Interreg Alpine Space Programe